Thursday, February 19, 2009

Aggravating &%^$#* and Other Stuff

Sometimes I get aggravated. Maybe I shouldn’t, but hey, I’m human. Or at least that’s what they tell me. I’m not so sure I believe them. Most of the time I get aggravated over stupid stuff. I will be the first to admit that my patience meter is never really at a high level of tolerance. Sometimes, however, I believe that my ire is justified.

Example #1:

When we pick my daughter up from school we go through the carpool. We have a number that hangs on the rearview mirror. When we drive around to the side fence a teacher calls Chloe’s name and walks her out to the car. She hops in and we go on our merry way. Today there was an SUV in front of me and when their child was in the vehicle the driver decided not to stay in line and whip out around other cars picking their kids up. The driver almost hit the car that was at the front of the line.

But wait, it gets better.

At the stop sign the driver made a right. There just so happens to be a crossing guard there. While the guard and two children were in the middle of the road, the driver tries to go around them in front of them. The guard, Mr. Wilson (does every school have a Mr. Wilson??), hurried the kids across the street and the SUV sped off.

Needless to say, I got aggravated.

Example #2:

Again, someone in a car. This time it is a woman and she runs right up on my bumper. She whips out in front of a car in the lane beside me and passes by. I glance at her as she is zooming past. She wasn’t even looking at the road but in a bag that was on her lap. It looked as if her KNEE was the only thing steering the vehicle. She zoomed on down the street, swerving back and forth in her lane and right on top of other cars, who eventually got out of her way.

Needless to say, I got aggravated.

Example #3:

I’m an idiot.

Needless to say, I get aggravated at myself.

Example #4:

I was at the pet store with my lovely wife. We were searching for some turtle food for Turquoise O’Malley, our turtle. Yes, I like to state the obvious. The prices are on the shelves just below the items. While we searched for the right foods for O’Malley we looked at the prices and compared the stickers with the items on the containers. NONE OF THEM MATCHED UP.

What?

None of the price tag descriptions matched the items above it (or below it for that matter). We spent several minutes comparing items to tags, not wanting to get up to the cash register and see that something was really five bucks more than the tag said.

Why? Why can’t the stores have the items marked properly? Why? Someone, please tell me why?

Needless to say, I got aggravated.

Example #5:

See example #3.

You get the picture by now, right?

***

On to writing related stuff.

For those of you keeping track, I have a 1000 words a day minimum for writing. That’s minimum. As of this morning I sit at 30052 words for the month of February and a little over 80,000 words for the year. This is a good thing. What makes it even better is most of the stories I have started I have finished. This means I am writing more and finishing more of projects. I’m happy about that.

As for the publishing goal, well, I sit at 5 so far for the year, which is about 10% of my annual goal of 50 pubs in a single year. I know it’s an awfully high number but what good would it do if I set the goal low enough that I knew I could attain it?

Two of them came out in the last two weeks. One of them is a story called “Stupor.” It’s got a little more language in it than I normally use. You can find it at The Flash Fiction Offensive. Follow this link and give it a read:

Stupor at Flash Fiction Offensive

The other one is a story titled “Do You Know Me?” It is a look at the battered victims of abuse. It appears at The Patchwork Project, a site dedicated to bringing awareness of abuse in the world. You can find it here:

Do You Know Me at Patchwork Project

Also, my story “Sarah’s Playground,” Which came in second place for the erotic horror contest held by SNM Horror Magazine can be found here:

Sarahs Playground at SNM Magazine

Scroll down a little bit and read the story. It was chosen as the SNM story of the month, so I’m good with second place.

***

I’m tired now—it’s been a long day. I think I’ll go take a shower and call it Thursday. Night everyone.

I’m AJ and I’m out.

No comments:

Post a Comment